- What are the benefits of this procedure?
- Are there any risks?
- How will the procedure go and what types of medical tools are going to be used?
- Are there any alternatives to this type of testing or procedure?
I decided I would add in a few of my own questions that I deem important to ask when having a procedure or test done.
- What are we hoping to accomplish or find with this procedure/test?
- If the results are not good, what will be our next step afterwards?
- Do you want me to stop any of my medications prior to the procedure/test? If so - which ones?
- Will I need to fast for this procedure/test?
- Who will be in charge of my test/procedure? How many times have they done this procedure / how much experience do they have doing this test/procedure?
- What is the estimated recovery time?
- Will this be in-patient or out-patient?
- Will I be able to drive afterwards?
- Will I need an IV/Port for this?
- Will I have to stay overnight for observation?
- Will this procedure/test require anesthesia? If so - what are the risks with that with concern to my medical history and what type of anesthesia will be used?
I'm sure there are so many more questions you can ask, especially about specific procedure and tests. This is just a list of ideas for general questions to ask. Depending on your medical history, the questions will vary as well. For example, I ask lots of questions when it comes to anesthesia because it is a dangerous to put me under due to my PH.
If you have any other suggestions for questions someone should ask before a procedure or test, post your ideas in the comment section below!
Hope and Love,